View Single Post
Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 PM

OK, thanks Luke. At least you clarified that a torque wrench may be the most suitable tool for torqueing a fastener. The debate can rage like the "oil" posts about the most accurate torque wrench type. The "dial" type is usually the kind that have the "dial" that needs to be observed, you also mentioned the word "click" which is the "clicker" type, this is usually what is is referred to as. There is also the beam type, which has it's uses, but usually is considered the type you go out on Sunday afternoon and buy at the KMart auto section for $10.99 because you're "real" torque wrench is locked up at work and you "have" to torque something.
Most dial types are what seem to run the best accuracy in manufacturers spec sheets. Problem is that it's up to the individual as far as how close the needle falls to the desired number. Also take into account that to be accurate with the dial type, it's important to observe the dial from straight on, not angled. On higher torques, I just don't trust myself to land the needle right on, especially repeatedly, such as head bolts. Clicker-type accuracy is acceptable, especially when you consider that to a certain extent, it's not quite so critical to have 0.11% accurate torque loading as much as it is to have consistantly matching readings, this is especially true for a bunch of head bolts, and also true for wheel bolts. I much prefer the clicker-type, the one I use for wheel bolts is the Blue-Point "Brutus", which is a 1/2 inch drive clicker-type built into a 3/4 drive bar, excellent for this type of repeated torquing. The dial type may be good for some jobs, but in my opinion not good for wheel bolt work because the torque wrench dial will be down so low to the ground it is hard to look straight at the dial, then multiply by 20 bolts all in a row, not really a good scene, not for a line tech at any rate. It is possible to be fast AND accurate.
I would also state that it would be better to use a cheap torque wrench, such as "The KMart Blue Light Special" Than none at all, because by using even a cheap wrench, you can be somewhat assured that the torque is at least close, and more importantly that the torque loadings are at least somewhat even between all 5 bolts.
Gilly