Thread: Coolant
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
cphilip.com

I'm still not convinced to switch my truck over... partly because Ford doesn't (last I checked) condone it. They do use HOAT in the newer trucks. And many a person has switched their older trucks over without any problems. But the fact I cannot test something makes me sort of worried about it.

Dunno what I am going to do with this old 83 Merc. Right now I am debating but leaning to the change over to HOAT. Whats your thoughts on that HDB? What would you do? Low Silacate with DCA-4? Or switch to HOAT after ample flushings? It currently and recently has Green in it. I didn't put it in but it is very freshly done so by a Independent Mercedes Mechanic I am swornly told. So I got to either check what Green and see if the SCA stick shows up any DCA or not... or Change it either way.

The main thing that has me leaning towards the HOAT in this case is that I do not like to run DCA-4 without a Coolant filtration system. Because it can percipitate out and form sand if its level gets too high. And then do as much damage as cavitation. Eating water pumps and such. And this car doesn't have one nor as good a place to add one as the Truck did.

Last edited by cphilip; 04-08-2008 at 12:44 PM.