View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 09:51 AM

That has been my experience with the Vinyl Sprays also.... better than I hoped they would look.. I changed out the entire interior on a Karman Ghia from biege to silver and kept the car many years after that... if prepped right... like any paint job.... it really does well.... I cleaned all of it with alcohol then roughed it up with 100 grit flint sandpaper... need to take the gloss off the old vinyl...to give the paint something to hold on to...
The only place it wore off was the usual drivers side bolster... but that was after TWO YEARS and I just cleaned that area and resprayed it ....and I was impressed that it WORE OFF... it did not peel off... this stuff ' melded ' into the original vinyl...
For the record... you can clean up carpet and spray it with vinyl spray also... makes it look brand new...
I used MarHyde for that first job. I do think we should start descriminating between " paint" and "dye" on the forum... paint covers the old finish and dye soaks into it... leaving the old surface a different color but where you can still see things like the pores in the leather...
The usual rules for painting apply... apply a 'tack' coat and give it 10 or 15 minutes to start drying,,, then put a coat on that is thick enough to 'gloss' .... but not more than that.... and use lung protection.... Greg