View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to chime in. A couple of years ago I was rebuilding my 617 and saw a picture and part # of a pop tester in the Mercedes 123 repair dvd so I wrote it down, called the stealer and they said it was $190. I went down and the know nothing kid who helped me took my money and said it was special order from Germany and non-refundable. About two weeks later I went down to pick up the part and to my disappointment the kid brought back a encyclopedia sized box and upon opening, it was revealed to be a diesel injector cleaning kit. It was a bunch of brass tools and tips specially designed to clean the carbon off of the pintle seat, injector bore and hole in tip. They finally gave my money back after I produced a pdf copy of the page in the dvd with the pop tester and its part # showing them I didn't make a mistake. With the effort some of you guys have made to make your own tester, I thought you would possibly be interested in this kit. I personally would spend $300 on injectors reconditioned by Bosch and not make a mess in the garage but I admire your ingenuity!
From what I observed where I used to work those Nozzle cleaning setups seldom work. The reason is that as carbon build up on the seating areas of the Pintel and the Spray Nozzle body the spring loaded Pintel beats up and down on those seating areas. This beats the deposits into the metal causing dents and pitting in the seating area.
If that was not enough the Fuel Presure itself going through the Spray Nozzle causes some eroding of the seating area and hole in the Spray Nozzle.
Because of the above scaping the Carbon out will not cure a damage seating area.
I also think an Ultrasonic Tank would do better job claning.

As a side note the place where I work bought a set up to regrind the seats and Pintels in Detroit Diesel Injector. The success rate was extremely poor due to the fact that the hammering of the Pintel as stated above damage/wore the seating areas so much that there was not enough meat available to grind through the defects. This resulted in my Boss giving up on the idea.

It may be that if you were willing to pull your Injectors out and Pull the Spray Nozzles of every so often to scrape out the Carbon as preventative maint maybe those tools would work for that.