View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRash View Post
Well, i don’t think its detonation that broke the rings, no one will ever keep flooring a car that’s making enough knock to break the rings.
I mainly say the pistons need to be measured up, as most prolly they had shrunk with heat and age causing excessive piston slap. Now that would play havoc with the rings.
And are all the rings broken?! or are they just brittle??
If its the second option it could be that the car had overheated seriously at one point in its life baking the rings. or the car had been running leaner than it should, which over time also turns the rings int crackers.

Also don’t forget that excess oil escaping worn rings will increase compression and break a ring or two in the end, like i broke my compression ring on my boosted M103 from excessive water injection. you wont have hydro lock nor knock usually just excessive increase in compression on the rings. but usually in this case its a compression ring that cracks and not the oil ones, both together
Good points Jay!,it would be really interesting to see a pic of where piston wear has accured!.