View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerFrank View Post
I just bought a '75 240D with the intention of converting it to a 2 tank heated wvo system. But in my further research I learned about making Biodiesel, which also seems like a viable option.

I live in Minnesota, and it gets cold here. Negative Fahrenheit temperatures are common in winter, so whatever I do I'll need some sort of heating system from what I've read.

I'm trying to decide what to do here because I want to run on alternative fuels while taking the best care of my engine that I can. So I search on here and I find a bunch of people insulting each other - The purist diesel-power fanatics vengefully lacking the will to accept the validity of other options vs. The eco-fanatic greasers with an equal tendency toward narcissistic, opinionated, self-inflating remarks. And nobody wants to discuss or demonstrate.

So, please, straight answers. Opinions aside and observations at the ready: How does running wvo carefully (well filtered, properly heated, two tank system, starting/stopping with dynodiesel, etc.) effect an engine? How does properly made biodiesel effect an engine?

Of wvo-biodiesel and straight wvo, which is more practical for sub-zero temperatures?

IMO, you're overall best bet is running Biodiesel. It will gell at a higher temperature than diesel, but a blend will take care of that problem. One thing to remember, the gell temperature is affected by both the type of oil and its usage. This is the same as if you were running WVO, but WVO will take a long time to properly heat in real cold weather. WVO is always thicker too.
All on B-100