View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Internal Error 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerFrank View Post
I just bought a '75 240D with the intention of converting it to a 2 tank heated wvo system. But in my further research I learned about making Biodiesel, which also seems like a viable option.

I live in Minnesota, and it gets cold here. Negative Fahrenheit temperatures are common in winter, so whatever I do I'll need some sort of heating system from what I've read.

I'm trying to decide what to do here because I want to run on alternative fuels while taking the best care of my engine that I can. So I search on here and I find a bunch of people insulting each other - The purist diesel-power fanatics vengefully lacking the will to accept the validity of other options vs. The eco-fanatic greasers with an equal tendency toward narcissistic, opinionated, self-inflating remarks. And nobody wants to discuss or demonstrate.

So, please, straight answers. Opinions aside and observations at the ready: How does running wvo carefully (well filtered, properly heated, two tank system, starting/stopping with dynodiesel, etc.) effect an engine? How does properly made biodiesel effect an engine?

Of wvo-biodiesel and straight wvo, which is more practical for sub-zero temperatures?

At the risk of being labeled an "eco-fanatic greaser" I will say I like your attitude. Never mind the bullocks, lets get down to business....

Now that have a good canidate for running alt fuels. (75 240D )

You will need a consistant supply of good oil.
And by good I mean.
Not burnt to death by weeks of use.
Not high fat.
No grill cleaners.
As little water as possible.

I have had good luck with clear soybean oils.
Rumor has it that canola is the better oil but I have no experience with it.

Next you will need some sort of filtration/dewatering/testing equipment.
No matter what direction you decide to go your oil will need to be filtered and dewatered.

I use a centrifuge and hydraulic filters for filtering and dewatering.

I filter to 3 micron absolute.
which means no particle larger than 3 microns gets past the filter.
Not 3 micron average, but absolute, there is a big difference.

And, I ocassionly do a hot pan test for water in my oil.

Then you can make your decision to use svo, svo-two-tank, biodiesel, blends, etc...

It mostly depends upon where you want to put most of the work.
Into the car, and fuel system.
Into a biodiesel refinery system in the garage.
Average ambient temprature does come into play.
But is not the only consideration.

Step one
Find a resturant that you like, and find out what kind of oil they use, and if you can collect some.
This will probably take you longer than you may first think.

Step two
Setup your filtering system...
This will also take some time.

Step three
Make the decision about using wvo, wvo-two-tank, biodiesel, blends, etc..

I suggest trying all options before settling on one.
There is no other way that I know of to figure out what will work best.