View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Armchair Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
While it could be poor quality Motor Mounts when I read about new mounts lasting 6 months in the back of my head I am wondering if the Poster fixed the other things that would tame the Engine Shaking. Even the best Motor Mounts were not made to tame an abnormally running Engine.

My car does have the infamous hot idle shake, so it's definitely possible that the Meyle mounts I installed would have lasted much, much longer than 6 months if my engine was running properly. I definitely should have added that caveat when I panned the Meyle mounts. However, I still *suspect* you're better off avoiding them and going with Lemfoerder or something (~double the cost, $25 instead of $12 or in that ballpark) for the following reason; when the mounts were done, the tie rods were replaced as well with Meyle parts, and those *also* failed in less than a year, all four boots were badly ruptured. I suppose it's possible that this was also caused by the shake, but I'm more inclined to blame it on cheap rubber. But I could be 100% wrong.

On a related note, I'm just now noticing the myriad threads asserting that old fuel lines can cause hot idle shake, and that seems to fit my symptoms. Hopefully that will calm things down.

1984 300SD, 375XXX miles, Light Ivory w/ Palomino TEX