View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnik View Post
are the 8 mm elements BOSCH or after market?
In case of after market you will not be successful with the set up.
At least all after market elements I have seen are far beyond tolerance which makes it impossible to set up the pump especially when we talk about making things better than stock.
In case you want a single tuned MW for your own use, get in contact with David (Dervtuning) on the other side for the set up, I have the elements 6.5mm diameter.

Tom
As I have greater amounts of time than cash I am going to get some aftermarket elements, then inspect them individually and compare. I imagine when you say "At least all aftermarket elements I have seen are far beyond tolerance which makes it impossible to set up the pump especially when we talk about making things better than stock." that you are taking about the plunger helixes matching which if not identical, would make matching delivery across the full range a compromise at best.

I am planning on modifying the helix to tailor,(reduce), the fueling curve, (per degree of plunger rotation), to allow more rack movement for a given amount of delivery. The goal is to maintain the total rack travel just with a steeper delivery curve due to the increased total volume that I want. Or I would maintaining the same volume as the 5.5mm elements and just shorten the injection time.

Anytime one uses a part or assembly that is made for a different application at best, it becomes a R/D program. Better living through modification. Other than your custom elements, there are no plug and play performance options for the MW IPs, so I was planning on using the aftermarket elements as blanks and modifying them to meet my needs. As a plus they are cheep enough that I can burn a few while developing the process to modify them as I want.

No one really knows who we all are, our background and experience, or what our capabilities are. I personally take no offence when I read a post that says, you can't do that, it will never work. I have found it to be easier to do something if I do not know it can't be done while I am doing it. That way I can focus on the task and not on trying to find the wall of impossibility.

So the proof is in the pudding. As there is no interest, I will not dedicate resources toward building a production rig. First I will get some elements and measure them up to see what I have to work with. I will try to take pictures as I go, but I am not in the habit of that.

Tom, If I have to go with genuine Bosch elements then I would go with yours. The others are so cheap, (for a reason I understand), that I can spend some time to try to get what I want and not feel bad if it doesn’t work out. Educations are expensive a friend says.