View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 AM

RE:1983 300SD

The front speakers, as well as the rear speakers in the pre-1986 W126 cars are 4"x6".

If you want to replace all of them , without any mods, I would suggest the Infinity Reference 6412CFP.

They are a perfect fit in the front and rear as well.
They are a two way "plate" style speaker, meaning both the mid bass driver and tweeter are mounted on a 4x6" plate with various mounting holes for different bolt patterns.

I have a pair in my front dash and I am very happy with them.
They can be had on-line anywhere from $30-$50.
I do recommend getting a pair of the XTC foam baffles I mentioned earlier to use in the front dash, and a pair for the rear deck.

Any good head unit with at least 20 watts of power will drive these speakers without the need for an amp.

If you do want to modify the rear deck, you may be able to fit a pair of 6 1/2" speakers, but this may require some cutting of both the deck and the sheet metal below, which I do not recommend.
The Infinity 6412's will give you great sound.

If you require a little more bass, you might want to consider a small sub-woofer.

Both JBL and Infinity make small units, and one of them is small enough to hide under your front seat, but if you do decide to use a sub, you will need an amp to power it.

All head units on the market today cannot supply both the watts and current that are needed to drive a sub properly.

Personally, I think you will be amazed at just how much of a difference just replacing the dash and rear deck speakers alone will make.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1cky View Post
Well put and 100% agreed.
I am planning on replacing my speakers but haven't received any definitive suggestions as to size and model number of speakers that will suit a 1983 w126 300SD with minimal modification to speaker or car.

I can amp the rear, though for this installation I may just utilize head unit power.

Do you have model # recos for front and rear for this car?

Thanks for your post!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone with any questions about W124 / W126 stereo installations pls read-reference6412cfp.jpg  

Last edited by whunter; 06-25-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling