View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks again for all the help, t i found my answer on another post

There are 3 iterations of torquing you do.

1st iteration: Following the sequence laid out in the diagram for the 14 head bolts, you torque them to 55 N*m (about 41 lb*ft).

2nd iteration: Starting over at Bolt #1, you goe through the torque sequence again, only this time don't use a torque wrench. Switch over to a breaker bar so you don't damage your torque wrench, or else set your torque wrench as high as it goes. You then tighten each bolt in sequence with a 90 degree rotation. No torque measured, just tighten the bolt 90 degrees, or 1/4 turn.

3rd iteration: Start over at Bolt#1 and repeat, tightening all 14 bolts again, in the proper sequence, another 1/4 turn or 90 degrees. Then you are done.

This is what I mean by 'torque to yield' bolts, or also called angle torquing. You are actually going beyond the elastic region of the bolt material's stress, into the plastic region. Once you get to the yield point, the torque will actually change very little as the bolt gets stretched. This is why it is important to either replace the bolts, or make damn sure they are within the specified allowable stretch limit before you start.