Thread: Top Speed
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2000, 11:25 PM

Makakio

Re the 2.3-16, the judge in this part of Virginia charges $50 for each 1 mph over 81. A friend of mine is facing a $2000 fine.

145 mph in the Vette was done at night, on a two-lane Carolina country road with tungston sealed beam headlights. Need I say more relative to the driving experience.

145 in the Jag, well we covered 60 miles in 25 minutes. Overtaking the few cars on the highway was like approaching a car on a two-lane road. Sometimes I'm amazed I made it past 30 years of age.

My brother was driving the jag one day when he engaged a vette in an impromptu race on a short street that led into the city landfill. The Vette has better brakes. My brother couldn't stop the jag and left the exhaust system and a few other parts behind in the landfill.

The Peugeot 504 was the best balanced car in that group of '60s and '70s autos. It cornered better than the jag and with its independent suspension and Michelin XAS tires was years ahead of many cars. I remember running flat out down this long hill on a Carolina county road in the 504. Got to the bottom and mid-way across this arched bridge the car went airborne and came down on the road in the middle of an intersection where this elderly lady in a Ford Galaxy was stopped at a stop sign. It touched down on the highway and kept on going without any fuss at all. For the past 20 years the car has been collecting dust in our barn. My kids do understand why I still hold onto it.