View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002, 11:35 PM

Unhappy XM modulating into factory head sounds like a dog farting in a pan of water

I have a Pioneer 903 XM receiver, previously installed in a VW Monsoon system with no problems, now installed in my '95 E300. (car manufactured 7/94) It is sending an FM modulated signal to the Mercedes factory head. (the head with the round volume control knob) For simplicity sake, and so I can retain usage of the weather band, I need to keep my factory head.

FM stations sound fine, but I'm not happy with the XM sound quality. Vocal siblance and cymbal crashes sound like a dog farting in a pan of water. I've tried adjusting the sound level at the XM controller with little to no effect on the high frequency distortion.

I want to bypass the XM receiver's FM modulator altogether. My car is prewired for a CD changer, but none is installed. I'm told there is a way to tap into the XM receiver's line level signal using an IP-bus breakout cable. Then hopefully send the signal to the CD input on the Mercedes head using the factory CD changer connector in the trunk. For this to work, the factory head has to be fooled into thinking there is actually a CD player installed, and at the same time, sending two channels of line level audio signal to the head.

Peripheral-AAMP has CD changer interface products for most cars, but I can't seem to find one with the RCA connectors for my model Mercedes.

What solution (s) does anyone know of that might help?