View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
Would angling the holes in the pre-chamber create a swirl of air entering and gasses exiting and have any advantage?
I would think so. The holes, (really short tubes or bores) would need to be aimed up toward the chamber, but that would also direct the hot gasses directly onto the face of the piston where, even if the concentrated heat did not burn away the piston, I would think that the near supersonic gas jets would erode the piston face.

With the small holes dumping into a larger tube, that dumps into an even larger chamber, the velocity and direction of the flow of gases from the holes is very difficult, if not impossible, to control or maintain.

Additionally, really high speed flows do not like to change direction. Just like water, air's mass is sufficient enough to make it difficult to direct above certain volumes and velocities.

It would depend on how much air you wanted to pass through the holes, and, how quickly you wanted to do it.

From my perspective, MB's 616 with its 60 HP at around 4000rpm is the result of target based engineering. They met their targets, (noise, emissions, durability, etc), with a good degree of success.

I, on the other hand, have different targets in mind, and I am using the parts that I am stuck with to try to meet mine. It isn't that I think I know better than MB, I just have different goals.

Perhaps another way to picture my thinking would be to imagine wanting to transport 1000 lbs of widgets, in the trunk of a W123, and travel across the country several times. MB did not intend to have 1000 lbs of anything placed in the trunk, so it is no fowl against them that the bumper is on the ground.

So in order to be able to maintain the correct ride height, stronger springs and shocks will be required or perhaps even air bags might be a reasonable solution.

If I was happy with 60HP, I would not be messing with the thing, just as if one only had 100Lbs of widgets in the trunk there would be no desire to put in stiffer springs.

On the other hand, this could result in one of those educational moments. "Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance" Will Durant.

Proceed and be bold!