View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPRIEST View Post
I bet I could get a gear puller in there and work them out that way... I just need to find replacements. Could probably order them from my guy.

The grease is from a bad transmission that I've already had replaced, so I'll do a good clean up job on this differential when I'm there.
The mounts in question need to be removed either in pieces ( after unbolting and moving the differential forward as much as you can, you can cut the outer shell appart with a Sawzall) or pulled in a forward direction. The area of the subframe into which these mounts fit is tapered large-small front to rear.

Some folks have stated they have been able to move the differential forward just enough to remove the mounts and to install new mounts, I have never witnessed that being done.

I unbolt the axles the driveshaft and the mounts and drop the differential, using a puller or a large bolt/large socket/large washer arraingment remove the old mounts and install new mounts into the same position.

I unplug the differential ABS sensor behind the rear seat and push the pigtail and grommet out under the car. I do that because if you try to unbolt the ABS sensor and remove it letting it hang, it is common for the sensor to be damaged in the process, even if you do get the ABS sensor out without damaging it you will need a specific very thin O-ring to get it resealed without leaking, most common O-rings are too thick and will not allow you to reinstall the sensor.

The grime on the rear cover is most likely is from differential fluid escaping the vent because it looks like it is on and possibly coming from the top of the differential, although the drive flange seals are often leaking after 150,000 miles. With the differential on the bench you can open it up, remove the clips which secure the drive flanges in place, pull the flanges out and replace the seals. If the front pinion seal is also leaking you can change that but it's a more involved process because you need to ascertain the preload and then replicate that upon re-assembly.

The rear muffler section can be dropped and allowed to hang, allowing more space on the drivers side when dealing with the axle on that side.