View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 AM
luddite by choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPaul View Post
VIN is 107 044. So it is a US car.

I oiled the cams up today, and put in a new set of NGK plugs. It started for a second then died, it was running on the fogging oil in the cylinders.

When cranking it makes nearly 45psi of oil pressure, which I imagine is a good sign.

However it does not run, I popped the plugs out and they are bone dry. I gather I am not getting fuel, I am off to work now though and don't have time to try to diagnose more.

The good things are it isn't locked up and it is sparking because it did run briefly.

Also, a guy walking by who claims he used to work for MB said these motors go through timing chain tensioners, and my original post mentions I notice so slack in my chain, but no obvious wear. Is it possible I need a tensioner? Where is it on the car? People talking about them online seem to make it sound easy to get to, but I can't find a photo.
Try seeing if you can hear the injectors clicking, but first check the fuel pressure by using a "t" fitting on one of the fuel hoses under the aircleaner. You should have around 28-30 psi, if not whack the fuel pump with a rubber mallet. Chances are it's stuck.

If you do have fuel pressure, and the injectors are silent then you might consider cleaning the trigger points in the distributer.

My money is on the fuel pump, imho.