View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentoman View Post
I ask because I am investigating why my 16v feels like it has poor throttle response in the first 1/2 second when you squeeze the gas. This is also a criticism I have read in magazines when the cars were brand new. I wonder if it's related? I want to try blocking off some of the pipes and see the difference it makes. Any thoughts?

Russ
Take a close look at your throttle linkage and how its designed to function. All these Kjet cars (16v or not) were designed with a throttle linkage that slowed down throttle plate movement in the first 15 degrees from being closed. You have to push the gas pedal in almost 1/3 of the way down to get the engine to really wake up. The problem is Kjet. The mechanical system simply can't respond fast enough to quick throttle inputs, the engine would stall before getting enough fuel. EFI (especially sequential EFI) can react to TPS movement with acceleration enrichment within less than 1 engine rotation even from idle. It calculates the acceleration enrichment based on throttle angle rate of change. This is only active for a few milliseconds before you MAF or MAP sensors have a chance to catch up and take over. This is why Kjet cars feel lazy compared to modern EFI.