View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM

82 240D starter or ignition switch issue. Wont crank.

Guys,

New MB diesel owner and new to the boards. Didnt think my first post would be about a problem..Hahaha Have had my 240D, 181K miles, mint, one owner car, for a month now, ran flawless up until this morning. I started to notice hard starting in the cold morning a few days ago, Figured the glow plugs or relay needed to be changed since this car sat for 6 months(but warmed up every week) till i got it. So this morning, it wouldnt start. Kept cranking it, nothing. Since i was free today, decided to take the plugs out and inspect, all but one had oil/diesel gunk on them.

My understanding is if your GP isnt getting hot, then the gunk doesnt burn, hence the stuff on the plugs. Tested the plugs with jumper cables and the ones that were covered in oil were not lighting at the tips. Had extra plugs, tested them, worked, popped them in the car..Now, starter wont turn because i drained the battery from cranking it excessively..so i thought.

Hooked up car to another via jumper cables, let it charge for 10 mins or so..Lights all strong, accesories, etc. Turn the key, key wouldnt turn for a second, seemed jammed, turned it to 0 position, couldnt pull it out, jiggled the wheel a lil. Key turns, glow plug light works as it supposed to, but now the starter wont crank, and all i get is a click..

I ran out of daylight so i didnt get to try jumping the starter or tapping the solenoid..

What do u guys think? something with the starter or something with my ignition switch? Its just coincidental that the key jammed, wouldnt turn, and now the starter wont crank.

BTW, I love this car. having owned various Hondas, e36, e46 BMW's, I find that its such a handsome and nice driving car abeit slow, and I appreciate this 80's MB technology..They DID build these better back then.

TIA

-Ray