View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
|3iodiesel300T|)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
On the 87 and 95 s classe I have, cocobolo seems to be a better grain and color match... Wouldn't it be easier to cut 2 thicknesses of strips for the head, use the thinner one on the side that isn't going to be internally shaped to receive the key head?? It would make for less sanding I mean... one could do some interesting carving on one of those too and add some color 'dust inlay'. Just thinking outloud. I haven't done any of these, and have no right to criticize....
It's an absolutely beautiful job. Keep up the good work... I may rip apart one of my keys just to do that for it...
Cocobolo does have a tighter grain pattern that would scale to a key a little better. Might have to try some of that for one.

I have started using one side that is thinner than the other. If you look at the pics you can see one side is thinner than the other. But it doesn't always happen that way. It just depends on what I have cut sometimes. Once you have the key cut to side it doesn't take that much sanding since the surface area is pretty small.
'77 300D ~ Sold