View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Today's project was finishing the manual glow plug system. At the last half price sale at the junk yard, I snagged a glow plug relay for next to nothing.

I opened it up and charted my course of action to gut everything except the fuse and plug. All the pins except one, connect to a copper plate and it is connected to a wire with some circuitry attached.

When I was done "cleaning" I was left with this

After cutting down the case, but leaving the mounting ears I was ready to pour urethane to seal everything up.

Here's the finished product ready to install.

The 380SL has a spark control module mounted in the same general vicinity as the glow relay on the 300D, and amazingly it has the same bolt spacing as the glow plug relay so it's literally a bolt in proposition.

Had lunch at the EAA hangar today which is right next to the junk yards so popped in just to see what new cars were there and found an SLC. I've been patiently waiting for some lower valance inserts to show up and there they were. Someone had removed the bumper and left them laying there....no pulling involved.
Attached Thumbnails
380SL Diesel Conversion Project-380-79.jpg   380SL Diesel Conversion Project-380-76.jpg   380SL Diesel Conversion Project-380-77.jpg   380SL Diesel Conversion Project-380-78.jpg  
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica

Last edited by mach4; 03-01-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add missing pictures