Thread: 500SL EURO
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Tyler, thanks for the comments specially since they are based on your experiences with 4 500SL euros. As for the car, frankly its qualities speak for themselves; at 49,000 original documented with registrations receipts and other verifiable documents there is no need for much work since the car never left town and has been garaged by owners. Car is dry as a bone underneath, no valve cover leaks (replaced last service); lurking under the car all I saw was a slight oil sweat from the oil filter seal. Maintenance I've done upon arrival: drained gas tank (gas was clean) preventive maintenance included new fuel pump, fuel filter, accumulator, gas tank strainer and a fuel hose that looked dry. Maintenance records with the car speak to batteries, tires and a major service (47,000 miles) at the Mercedes stealership for $1,000 + with most expensive item being ECU replacement, plus oil and filter changes. I also changed the driver side valve cover oil breather hose which was dry cracked at the base. Evidence of transmission service @ 30K miles and I plan to do another one at 50K miles as recommended by MB indie to include transmission filter seal, adjustments of bands and vacuum adjustment. That's it fellows. As Tyler says PPI or physical inspection; otherwise it's all armchair speculation.

Last edited by Carlo(s); 05-14-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add info