Thread: 500SL EURO
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
I was referring mostly to his pricing and DOT certification requirements. That is what my entire post was about. You failed to address any of my points, just quoted what you liked to make your point like in high school debate class or those dirty politicians. Where in my posts do I have no idea what I'm talking about? Nobody can come up with a reliable price guide for 107s. People did whatever they wanted to make these cars road legal. Are you disputing that? Those were my only two points. That is what he talked about the most, not the tire size and other minute details.

I agree with everything you said otherwise, none of your points addressed anything I said. I think you lashed out at me to defend your friend without processing the meat of my post.

...and I did mean it respectfully as I have great respect for the man.

I said it before as well that this would be one extremely blessed car to need so little throughout its life and need nothing now as the seller represents. Seeing the before pictures makes that seem next to impossible.
You had no idea what you were talking about when you suggested the same about someone who clearly does, this was the only point that I wanted to address and I have no interest in critiquing the car otherwise. Sorry Tyler, it's not OK to put "respectfully" in front statement like that. I'm sure that you understand that now because you're all over me when I suggested the same about you.

Fred made 3 statements. Please review these as you quoted them in your response.

1) He indicated that cars imported or sold before 86 did not require a retrofit 3rd brake light so unless it was imported after 1986, there was no requirement. He acknowledged that the OP made no mention of import date so his statement was correct.
2) Tire size is tire size is tire size. Nothing more, nothing less. So his statement was correct.
3) He suggested that the car is worth about 1/2 the asking price. That's his opinion, as it is the sellers opinion that the car is worth $18.5k. Personally, I think that Fred is in the money. This is not a restored car, or a coveted original. It's a driver with a fresh paint job.

I have an 84 500SL which reads 69k miles, runs and drives very well and has working a/c. When I bought it, it had faded paint but the mechanically in good shape and needing seats and a top. Not only did I address the cosmetics, I also replaced the timing chain, guides, banana rail, oilers and tensioner. Did the sub-frame mount, brakes, brake hoses. shocks and exhaust and changed all of the fluids. Since then, it's had routine maintenance in order to stay on top of everything.

Even with all of this work, I think that I would be shooting high if I tried to sell it for $9.5k. But maybe that's because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Al

Last edited by alabbasi; 06-04-2013 at 12:31 AM.