Thread: 500SL EURO
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM

Car recently had expensive repaint in original anthracite grey color to correct the faded clear coat (yes stored under a garden shed for a few months exposed to gardening sprinkler water, rubber seals soft intact and pliable). Just installed new Khumo tires all around. Recently saw German dealer ad for a comparable 39K miles 107 advertised in the fatherland with a price of $60,000 dollars!. Been around MB's all my life since 190B and imported and owned 2 euro 6.3's, owned a rare euro 6.9 AMG (heads, differential). As far as I'm concerned this car is a refreshing find with all registration paperwork (DOT/EPA paper shows 1,100 miles at time of federalization) to prove mileage through the years and repairs invoices none of which describe any of the "major" items mentioned by other owners. Even have a "twin" daily driver euro 83 500SL with 175K miles and just 10 serial numbers away from this gem which documents just reveal routine maintenance by previous owners none of them as catasthrophic as frame, transmissions, heads, etc. Perhaps all my euros also including 420SE 148K miles and 500SEL hot rod 166K miles have been blessed by good ownership karma. As with any car in my opinion you can go haywire throwing money at replacement items even if not needed. As far as I'm concerned the 107-126 V8 euro Mercs are the best, finest and more durable cars to come out of the house of Daimler Benz.