View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 08:23 PM

leathermang,
here's the story.... I found a 300dt with v minor accident dmge, body v. solid, eng. has 125k car has 235k. engine ran good and trans shifted in place....but it was a turbo and I figured for what I paid for it, I could get my $$ back in parts if it didn't work out. On the drive home I found the trans. slipping. otherwise drove well. After reading up on the trans diagnosis, determined it could be B2 piston, vacuum problem or just plain the end of the line for this transmission. Considered replacing it but after some research and a search at salvage yards I wondered if I wouldn't rather have manual trans. Found the 5 spd in MD. from a 280e and my local pickapart yard had a 240d and 190e i used as donor cars. The 5spd trans. is the newer 1pc case so I had to lengthen the hydraulic line to the slave cyl. and since the TO bearing fork didn't come with the 5 spd, I had to modify the one from the 240 older style trans. basically had to relocate the dimples for the push-rod and fulcrum... heat, a press and a little weld, now it fits and does the job. also had to do some slight internal grinding on the new pilot brg. to fit on the trans main shaft, but it was minor. other than that, pedals, supply lines and transmission mount fit from the 240d. As I said in previous thread eng and trans are back in the body ready to bolt up to the engine mounts. I will have to shorten shift rods, redrill some holes to mount the shfter from the 190e, and shorten the drive shaft. I'll report progress as that happens. I don't have a digital camera...may do the scan thing. the worst of it was dealing with stubborn bolts and things that wouldn't come apart. (pulled the eng. to do the rear mn seal, front seal, timing chain, and rails while I had the opportunity.) had an interesting fix for the stripped oil cooler hose fitting, but thats another subject. till later... cheers, mark Oh, almost forgot, the adapter plate is the same on the 240d and 300dt...same part # etc.... I picked up the bell housing from the 240 in case I wanted to investigate adapting a T-5 trans. from a mustang or something....they're plentiful.