View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooseppi Luna View Post
This thread may be relevant to your shifting issue:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/366671-4-speed-getrag-question.html

Also, have you seen the tranny run before? Could it just be a blown synchro or something?
Thanks for the link! Yes, I think thats my problem with the grinding in reverse... The Pilot bearing was the most difficult part of the swap for me by far... I ruined the first one trying to get it in the crank (made it Italy on it). I got a new one from NAPA that was made in the Japan. It fit better but was still a VERY tight fit. Its definitely possible that I didnt get it in perfectly straight. For now, I will just start it already in reverse if I need to back up, and avoid situations where I need to back up while running.

Never saw the trans run. I pulled it from a 240d that had a rod sticking through the block, but only 112k miles on it.

The 2nd gear downshift grind was just me being rusty with a stick shift. Shes shifting smooth in all forward gears. I put Mobil 1 ATF in the case.

She tachs the same rpms on the highway as the auto did which makes sense as they both have 1:1 4th gear ratios. Hmm now to look for a 2.88 rear diff.
'85 300SD 2.88 Diff (Direct Swap)
W140 HD Rear Springs w/ bilstein shocks (SLS Delete)
'83 300SD Big Brake Booster Swap
Late model 240D Manual HVAC Swap
W124 Outside Temp Gauge
Aftermarket Keyless Entry

'84 300D RIP