View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteredBenz View Post
Sometimes the bigger picture is harder to see, the old guys aren't the ones putting up the YouTube videos.The nails never should have been removed, all of them should have been driven deeper. The nails were put there for some reason maybe a noisy squeaky floor. Now not only are the nails removed so the floor is back to what probably caused it to be renailed down like it was but pounding the nails back up through could only have loosened things up even more than before the nails were originally driven. It's a lose-lose

Removing the nails completely didn't really help anything from a cosmetic view point because there are still holes to fill. And now if the floor does get noisy that will need to be ignored of fixed some how also!

Kind of reminds me of the scene from the movie COLORS with Penn and Duvall, The story of the old bull and the young bull standing on the hill looking out over the herd of cows. The young bull says " I'm gonna run down there are **** me one of those fine young heifers, and the old bull says, " I think I'll walk down there and **** all those fine young heifers!" I suspect TBO got the idea nail heads were a problem and maybe when figuring out what to do about it started to see what could be done about it. Started fooling around to see if a nail could be removed, and it just ran from that point to where it is now. Just maybe never thought why the nails would be there or if he did what could be the potential results if they were removed.

Get a good punch, even have one made by a machinist, have it hardened and tempered make it the size of the nail head. get one of those seats on casters, a three pound drilling hammer and a good glove for the hand holding the punch. Scoot along and drive every nail at least a 1/4" deep. Bang one good shot, you don't want the punch walking around on that nail head bending it sideways, that just makes stuff worse, bigger crazy holes.

No they were there to secure a runner or something, not for squeaky floors. They go from the front door back to the dining room and are linear, most just driven through the subfloor and that's it. Our floors are delightfully solid throughout the house. The nails I've tried to drive in are nearly splitting the wood because of the head. They won't go any further without destroying the hardwood. The only options are to pry out or to drill the head off and drive in.

There are quite a few holes left of course but some good matched putty will likely smooth it over well.

Sent from an abacus
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth