View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 PM

Good god, my car sounds like a kettle! // Power-steering woes

1- My 84 300D has started (intermittently) whistling at higher speeds (40+ mph), with the whistling growing progressively louder with speed. This started a few weeks ago with a faint noise, and has been getting worse over time. At this point, it sounds like there's a boiling kettle somewhere in the engine compartment.

It has no noticeable impact on drivability, and the car isn't displaying any other symptoms of bad behavior. Annoyance aside, I'm wondering if something could be going very wrong. For example, is my turbo is about to take a crap?

-

2- The car's steering has started to act up with cold temperatures. The power steering pump has begun to squeal loudly at full lock, and occasionally "jamming" before reaching full lock during stationary maneuvering (i.e. during parallel parking). Once the car's been running for more than a minute or two, everything seems fine. Are these symptoms of a failing PS pump? I fully admit that driving to Boston and back without a power steering belt may have contributed to this issue. Fluid and filter were recently changed.

As always, any advice & assistance is appreciated.