View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 05:02 PM

What about the guide rod mount and the bushing where it connects to the Lower Control Arm?

I also had to replace the bushings in the carrier that holds the guide rod mount. I'm still in process and can't comment on difficulty.

The sway bar bushings were like new on both SDs. I'm glad because they are quite buried especially on the driver's side.

Of course use Lemforder where ever available.

I would get some low dust brake pads and consider changing the wheel bearings if they haven't been done. I think one car has Hawk pads. The other always has dust on the wheels. You'll need new seals in the hub if you remove the wheel bearings.

It is a big job but the car will steer like new especially if you change the PS fluid and filter and adjust the box. .

The most risky part is removing the spring. The aftermarket spring compressors suffice. It will help to lube the screw. I wimped out and had the indy install the lower ball joints because he has the fancy MB tool. I knocked them out with a BFH and cleaned the steering knuckle which saved a few dollars.

Consider buying the calipers locally. I've had to return some under warranty and paying for return shipping negates any good deal you get online.
85SD 240K & stopped counting painted, putting bac together. 84SD 180,000. sold to a neighbor and member here but I forget his handle. The 84 is much improved from when I had it. 85TD beginning to repair to DD status. Lots of stuff to do.