View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 AM
Ignorance is a disease

What you should do for your oil change:

Start the engine and drive around to warm the oil. Park it, shut it down, wait 5 minutes. Undo the nuts on the oil filter canister cap and remove it to let the oil drain out of the canister. Hook up your topsider and start sucking. Replace the two O-rings (every other oil change is OK) on the oil filter canister stem, replace the large cap O-ring, lubricate both with a small amount of oil, replace the filter, and reinstall the canister cap and tighten down the buts evenly. When your topsider is totally done sucking, fill in ~80% of the listed capacity. Start the engine, make sure oil pressure comes up, check for leaks, shut the engine down, and wait 5 minutes. Get the level to halfway or 3/4 of the way on the dipstick, and check it again in the morning after it has sat. At that point, you can get it up closer to the max level but don't go over the maximum mark. You should always check the level each morning for a few days after the oil change to make sure you're problem free.

I think you have old leaky canister stem O-rings that are leaking a quart into the pan overnight. I think you probably put too much oil in to start with. I also think you aren't allowing adequate time for the oil to drain back into the pan. 5 minutes should be adequate.

The level will increase when it's hot. You get the most accurate reading in the morning, but the oil is cold. For that reason, it's safest to not fill it cold up to the maximum mark. That allows for expansion at operating temp. There's 1-2 quarts in circulation at any given time, perhaps 3 at high RPM. Being 1 quart low won't cause harm, but it isn't good. Being off the stick is bad.

Try this measuring technique and report back. Also let us know if you replaced the oil filter canister stem O-rings.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/sideview.png