View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Fold on dotted line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I've been using CB radios for years. Over the last 10 years or so, I've noted a serious downturn in quality of the smaller, 4-wheeler versions, of which I've bought a couple. These are the smaller units that usually fit where the ashtray is, after you remove it. They are small for a reason...because space isn't afforded for them. In the past 10 years, I've gone through at least 5 of them...with them always winding up in the trash due to the unit breaking.

I decided to go back to the big boy size versions, and couldn't be happier. I picked up a pair of Uniden PC78LTD radios, and installed one into the wife's pick up, added a pair of 4' Firesticks off the sides of the bed, and have been receiving and transmitting very strong signals where the smaller units were barely registering. I've been very pleased with this set up, and will copy the same set up in my pick up. When the small unit in the Tahoe dies, which it's on it's way, I'll add one to it, as well...once I can figure out a decent enough mounting spot.

Our pick ups have truck shelves, which are suspended from the ceiling, right near the windshield, with the sun visor mounted to the bottom. I've installed her CB in the shelf, just right of the rear view mirror, at an angle to the driver for comfortable and easy operation. This set up works the best, IMHO. Since our trucks are virtually the same model years (4 years apart, with only the nose and trim packages being different) mine will be no different.

I rely on radios to pick up chatter of speed traps and traffic, as well as to communicate emergency situations while in phone dead spots...such as when I had a van load of kids and the idler pulley decided to give up the ghost. Using the radio, I was able to get assistance when the phone had no signal. I grew up with a dad that always had one in his truck...an old Realistic TRC-152 that he had doctored up for more power, which I have set up in my basement, connected to a 12V supply.
Have you found any hand-held ones that are reliable? I had one on a trip through the Arizona desert, but it was later stolen. Wasn't bad and helped me out in a spot.

1950 170SD
1951 Citroen 11BN
1953 Citroen 11BNF limo
1953 220a project
1959 180D
1960 190D
1960 Borgward Isabella TS 2dr
1983 240D daily driver
1983 380SL
1990 350SDL daily driver alt
3 x Citroen DS21M, down from 5
3 x Citroen 2CV, down from 6