View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Diesel Dandy

Post Paper Manuals

I'm a Luddite too, I have thousands of vintage Factory Shop Manuals because they're *much* faster to find what you need in...

Anyway, the thing to do is : look on E-Bay and Amazon as there's always books out there for sale ~ once you find the Seller with Mercedes manuals ASK if they have shop worn ones as the ' serious collector ' jerkhoffs don't actually read them and are abhorrent of the old dirty dog earned ones used by actual mechanics, making them hard (near impossible) to sell and so cheaper too .

Or, just buy the manual you want on CD Rom and print out the pages you need and use the as ' cheat sheets ' ~ that way you can scribble notes and part #'s on the margins , get them dirty, greasy and so on and just discard when the job is done .

Be aware that Mercedes has separate manuals for the engines, various HVAC systems , automatic trannies, electrical system and so on .

LOOK CLOSELY before agreeing to buy ! most factory engine shop manuals out there are for NON TURBO models and the chassis manuals are pre - 1983 model year , yes there are differences in the ancillary bits .

I finally got some micro fische sheets of parts catalogs (old Dealer Stock) but I've yet to find a reader .

Keep beating those bushes as Old Timers are dying off and retiring, I get my best books from folks who buy up estates and abandoned storage units then parcel out everything bit by bit ~ they typically don't think auto books are very valuable so bargains can be had .

I hope this helps .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better