View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk View Post
I don't think the kids maintained the 560 very diligently.

It looks like it ran low on oil sometime in the past year or so and it started clicking, then rapping so I had it towed to the house (smart move) and started looking it over.

Pulled the valve covers and both cams and all 16 rockers are toast (one rocker was broken in half, hence the rapping). All are scored on the mating surfaces.

Looked at the timing chain and it shows NO stretch (Both cam timing marks are dead-on). BUT one of the rails (upper, inner , drv side) is broken and stuck between the chain runs so I figure I'm in for a long weekend pulling off the timing cover (already done and only took part of Saturday).
Here are my questions of which I think I already know the answers but am hoping maybe I am wrong.

1) Is it normal for a 150K mi engine to need a 1/2" drive impact wrench to loosen the upper (nearest the intake mani) cam tower bolts? They should only be torqued to 50 nm from what I can see. As I loosened them, I feared I was going to strip the bolt head. When they finally came out, galling was apparent on the threads. It looks like they were installed dry. The longer bolts holding on the towers loosened up as I would have normally expected.

2) Some of the towers show a little scoring on the top where the oil enters, replace?

3) Haven't looked at the lifters yet, are they likely compromised?

4) Speaking of the long tower bolts, about half of them came out of their holes milky in appearance. Please tell me these bolts pass through the water jacket and that is why they are contaminated and I do not have blown head gaskets.

5) Since I have it opened up, should I replace the oil pump? Maybe the oiling problem started there and it isn't the kids' fault.

6) What about the water pump? Renew it as well? 150K mi on both pumps. By the way, the lowest bolt for the water pump sheared off, seems well and truly stuck and I probably need to drill it out. Any sage ideas?

7) With new cams & rockers I assume there is a calibration procedure to follow setting them up. Difficult?

8) Anyone have an A/C compressor for the beast?

I suspect the engine was opened up previously because of a few things I saw that didn't look like factory work.

Thanks all...
You make an excellent argument in favor of removing the heads, and quite likely inspecting the bearings also.