View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Couple 'a questions: GP relay voltage; shake & tick

Okay, two things:

1) In an effort to figure out my '92 300D 2.5's hesitant start situation, I've finally gotten around to testing the GP relay. The plugs themselves are new and reaming has been done. The plug circuits test good for continuity. The battery tests 12.75V turned off, 12.26V with the ignition on, and >14V with the engine running. The relay pins test ~12.16V with the ignition on. My question is, is that good enough? Or should I be getting the full 12.26V from the battery?

2) The second thing is, can someone please watch the video and tell me if this OM602 look/sounds right? It seems to be shaking and ticking more at idle than I remember. I know to some extent that is par for the course with these old diesels, but I just don't know enough about them to know if I should be concerned or unfazed. I feel like the video doesn't quite capture the degree of shakiness, but it's the best I could do. Engine smooths out nicely on throttle. FWIW, engine mounts and belt shock are new. Fuel filters as well. Still planning a diesel purge and injector nozzles. Maybe lift pump, too.

https://youtu.be/lbbeo6zJWDg Sorry, shoulda shot the video in landscape orientation!

TIA.