View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorje View Post
with 110k. I'm the second owner as of 98k. Changed the oil at 104k (it was changed at 98k before by seller.).
I'm betting the seller let past services go, this is evidenced by them changing it just before you bought it.

Quote:
The oil was and is black. I've had diesel pickup trucks but never let the oil get that dirty.
Last year the company I work for bought a used backhoe without me looking at it. The company is a manufacturing facility and those that went to look at it know nothing about machines besides it was sort of shiny. The dealer changed the oil after we bought it but before it was delivered. By the time I looked at it 10 operational hours had passed, the oil was as dirty as any I had seen, and this is an electronic controlled engine.

Modern diesels have much better fuel control and piston ring seal so oil contamination with soot is less of an issue unless service intervals are let go.

Quote:
I'm thinking of changing it 2x in a row just to clean up the crankcase and then again in a few thousand. Is this a good idea or not necessary?
I'd change the oil now, push the next oil change to half distance then reassess 1/2 way through that oil change. Changing 2x in a few miles would be a waste of oil, you need time for the oil to load with soot. ( RE: hot oil splashing around cleaning things out. ) I would not use any sort of motor flush, the soot was deposited slowly over time and must be removed slowly over time.