View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
x2. Cooling system capacity is dependent on pressure to a point. More pressure is more capacity until you get to where the water pump can’t do it’s job. I drove a 603 for a while with the cap loose when there was residual pressure. It worked for just getting around. On hot days and under load I had to keep an eye on the gauge because it would climb quickly. My SDL cracks got so bad that it took a few minutes from cold start to beyond 100*C on the gauge and rock hard hoses but the radiator was cold. Same water pump and thermostat did their job after I replaced the head.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon
Guys...Guys...Gals...

Understood...a normally pressurized system is by design going to increase boiling point and cooling capacity not to mention maintain desired coolant flow characteristics.

But I don't think ak-hay is pondering putting the 14 head into service to haul a trailer up through the alps, commute in LA traffic with soaring temps and the AC doing full duty, and so on.

Sort of kidding above... but it's an old around town car he's trying to keep in easy service without spending three or more thousand $$$ to have a drivable car for local easy street service.

Heck, several of you know I've been on the look out for a good improved casting head for years without spending more than the car is worth...to me or the market.

With regard to folks making condescending statements challenging his ability to rationalize forum feedback by questioning his "language skills", etc...News Flash...He's a very intelligent engineer by profession, speaks multiple languages, has had more 603's landing in his drive way than most folks, and knows these motors. Right next to Sixto and a few other 603 vets he's been one of my 603 go-to guys over the years.

It's a diy for a reason...and that's why he ran it up this flag pole.

1986 300SDL 440,xxx