View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael0584 View Post
The power steering box on my 85 300d was leaking from the input seal. To make things easy, I just swapped in the box from my 83 300d parts car. The box didn't appear to have any leaks and did not have any slop. Once installed, it steers too easy to the left and not easy enough to the right. Comparing to the old box I'd say 50% easier steering left and 50% harder to the right. It steers way too easy to the left and just slightly easier than manual steering to the right. this is not just from center either, steer all the way to the left easy and as soon as you start turning right it's harder and vice versa.

Any idea what would cause this? Worse case scenario I'll just reseal my old box but would like to fix this one if possible.
Three possible problems that I can think of

1) There's something wrong with the rest of the steering system - steering dampers for example can cause some weird **** - probably not the case if it was all working well before but I thought I'd mention it

2) Pitman arm - check to make sure the same P/N - ID on the new steering box is the same as the old one. There are subtle differences - all explained (ad nauseam) in the FSM

3) Shuttle valve got a bit of crud in it

I did a bit of a big DIY a few years back on the steering box here =>

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/303379-what-feeling-will-properly-adjusted-w123-w116-w126-power-steering-box.html

If you have the time to read it there's probably more than enough information in that thread for you...
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!