View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 10:52 AM

This system is very crude. It totally lacks enough input sensors. So what can State farm get out of it that is accurate and what they really want?

A profile of your speeding habits in relation to posted speeds. Otherwise the system is so flaky nobody is going to see a discount in my opinion unless the vehicle remains parked.

Since that does not allow the speed and probably usage profile to develop. It would not surprise me if they just told you the vehicle has not been driven. So no information no discount.

For example since there is no sensor information on the road condition on corners. Or straight sections of road. It could be wet or dry or snowy or icy. The system has no calculation of available traction. To compare with what you have available at whatever speed you are travelling. .

I believe State Farm or whoever they contracted with is piggybacking on some existing systems. That lack the general sensitivity required plus there exist a major lack of inputs to give reasonable determinations.

Their expectations perhaps are to slow down drivers. Perhaps the first five miles over will not drop the indicated percentage. Anything more might hit it hard. The incorporated errors in their system are enough that even perfect acceptable normal driving will reduce your percentage.

The only other thing I noticed. The use of a cellphone in the vehicle is recorded by them. Not the conversational content.

It may be tied to the time frame of the vehicles movements. For example you were not mobile for too short of a time at that intersection. Or even worse there are no parameters at all. So any use of a cellphone in the car is flagged. Cellphone usage while driving is a well recognized hazard and accident risk factor. Basically they can get only a very few things from this that are reliable enough to satisfy them. Or to be of any use.

There are also some possibilities a study of vehicle usage times and durations etc. Might indicate if there are users that should see higher premiums as the insurance companies profiles show a higher risk exists. With them. Just about anything else is little more than a distraction for reliability.

What was effective here in reducing the amount of accidents. Was not the insurance companies. The dollar amount for infractions was increased so much people found the prices too punative. So they just started to watch what they were doing more when driving.

I even found myself mentioning to the wife. Honey you really should stop just before the white line at intersections or just at it. I notice you are not. You are almost always over it. The fines now are really heavy. Those situations are where you had better use the best diplomatic approach you can come up with in mentioning it.

So I will add that I do it too but am trying to stop it. Actually I do not go over that line. The real reason is for anyone making a left turn I am then obstructing the radius of their turn to some extent.

For example if stopped and asked for proof of insurance. If you left the paper at home in your purse. It will cost you 1100.00 now. They are really out to raise revenue. So just leave all documentation in your car. We really do not have any uninsured drivers as such either anymore. You have to prove insurance to get plates for a car.

If you have no insurance somehow and are stopped by the time it is finished it will cost in the thousands. If you are involved with an uninsured driver accident. There is a fund that will pay you for what they have done. They get various fines and costs. Then they must pay the fund back or never get a drivers licence again. Plus chased hard for all the money as well.

Last edited by barry12345; 06-06-2019 at 11:48 AM.