View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprime View Post
I find original was 4 gauge 100% copper J1127-S GT
New ons on ebay are updated to 2 gauge or 12 gauge to 10 gauge
I found it odd that on the chart that I posted the insulation appears to be part of the diameter measurement. If I go by that the original cable with the Mercedes logo on my car is slightly smaller then 2 gauge.

If the gauge in the chart went by only the copper wire core the stock cable the a 6 gauge cable would be thicker then the stock Mercedes cable.

I was thinking on replacing the Cable. I peeled back the cable insulation as in the attached picture. And found as you see it.

After soaking it in water and baking soda to get rid of the white corrosion the cable looked OK and the part that is inserted into the clamp had also been soldered so there was no corrosion in there. So I just elected to glue the insulation back on with silicon sealant and wrapped it with rubber electrical tape.

Since the positive cable has been working fine since 1984 and there was no apparent damage to it I felt no need to update/upgrade it.

But, I decided to post the info from the measurements because I cannot recall anyone ever saying what measurement the stock cable actually was.

Note I just finished replacing the brushes in the Starter which made me think of replacing the Batter Cable if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
What Gauge is a Stock 84 300D Battery Cable-battery-cable-insuatation-peeled-back.jpg