View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 03:31 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
Most seem to have a bipod on the front. If you can dig a couple of small holes for it may help with the recoil issues. Look far too heavy to use otherwise as well.

The Russians used snipers a lot in the second world war. They interviewed an old Russian sniper that had killed about 150-250 Germans. I do not remember his claim accurately.

When asked about his feelings. He simply stated the Germans just should not have been in Russia. They were not guests. So he has no regrets. Russia treated the POWs as war criminals because of the way they acted in that war. Towards non combatants in Russia.

German combatants that generally observed the Geneva convention where not treated decently on the western front after the war. Other than by Patton. To justify the behavior towards them they reclassified them as other than surrendering soldiers. What was achieved by this is beyond my comprehension.

I used to take a German sailing with me. He served on the eastern front starting at age 17. I regret today not getting more details of that time he had from him. He was really a decent guy that had emigrated to Canada. We also worked together.

Stalin in retrospect may have been the greatest war leader of modern times. A very strange person in many ways. Yet he broke the back of the German war machine. Generally considered to be an impossibility of the times. I think everyone is dead now that was involved. I suspect Germany might have surrendered in very early 1942 if it had been allowed to. Under reasonable terms. Japan earlier on as well.
There is an excellent movie about snipers ww2 ...enemy at the gates?
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.