View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Update everyone, so I tested the car at idle with an infared gun and the temp sender was at 70C at most and the rest of the head was around 50-60C. The thermostat was 40C coming out. A big problem was the wire coming off the sending unit to the left fender well had two breaks in the insulation and was damaged after 30+ years of engine heat. Tested it with an ohm meter and the resistance was quite high so I ran a new wire to the temp switch through the sheathing for the glow plugs for neatness. (my father put the wires for the glow plugs and temp sender wire in a giant heat shrink tube to keep them somewhat protected years ago.) After soldering on the mercedes connectors from the old wire I did and ohm reading again and had alot less resistance compared to the original wire. So now my temp gauge is reading alot closer to 80C now, it never goes above 85C at idle so now I'm going to do a road test soon and see what happens. Also I put in a new temp sender unit like 2 months ago, and yes a clutched fan may not do much for cooling but the minimal performance improvement may be worthwhile.