View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 01:37 PM

W124 300D 2.5 Turbo Breather Hose Issue

FYI:

When I removed the valve cover on my recently acquried 92 300D 2.5 Turbo (W124.128), I accidentally broke the breather hose that runs from the top of the valve cover to the main air intake hose that feeds the turbo. The hose ends were brittle from age and heat exposure and they snapped right off

I went to the dealer to get another one and we had a very difficult time finding the right part in the EPC. The one that the EPC listed does _not_ look anything like what was on my car.

I searched the various MB parts sites on the web and found that each of them also listed the wrong part (accompanied by the same picture that the dealer had). I know most if not all of these parts houses use the same parts database software so I was not surprised that the mistake was widespread.

Fortunately, the broken part had a part number on it and we were able to order the right part.

Here are the _correct_ MB part numbers for the breather hose pieces on an OM602.962 engine:

601-016-01-63 is the grommet that is mounted in the top of the valve cover. The one on my car was hard as a rock, the new one is a soft pliable rubber.

601-016-01-23 is the 90 degree fitting that runs from the breather hose itself and inserts into the grommet.

I did not have to replace the actual hose (and/or the insulation that covers it) so I do not know the part number for that. I was able to remove the broken pieces from the end of the hose and re-use it. It is not obvious that the breather hose has a detachable 90 degree fitting, and that the fitting is not integral to the hose itself.

Total for these two parts was just shy of US$5.00.

I hope this post saves someone a bunch of grief. When I got the part from the dealer, we looked up the p/n for the 90 degree fitting (the EPC does list the grommet correctly) and it was not listed for the W124.128 at all. I suppose it's originally from the 4-cyl variant of the 602, the 601 (hence the part number!).

Chris Blanchard
1992 300D 2.5 Turbo 147k