View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 08:05 AM

It has been a while, but the missing tube finally arrived and I have installed the system as close to original as I can, so I thought I would update. Obviously, with the system back, the oil filed air filter is no longer filling up with oil. The oil level I add to the engine stays constant (before it was diminishing as it ended up in the air filter oil bath) as does the oil level in oil bath air filter.

I don't notice any performance change. I think this was due to the fact that the correct breather hose was installed so deeply into the T piece on the air inlet, that is was blocking the other entrance.

I try to show that in photo 1.

Photo 2 is the system as I built it now. A is the connection at the top of the crankcase, B is the T piece which sits on the air inlet and C is the line which goes to the dirty side of the air filter.

Photo 3 & 4 is the system installed.

I have capped the extra tubing connection which was in the oil filler cap on the crankcase.

The only way I see that it is not original now, is that the connection from the T piece should actually go to the clean side of the inlet air. It should be connected right next to the throttle control on the air inlet. Instead, it is routed back to the bottom of the oil bath air filter housing, on the dirty side, but considerably above the oil level. I believe the suction of the engine pulls air through this tube in the direction out of the crank case. At first I was concerned I was hooking it up so that non-filtered air could get into the crankcase, but the suction is so great in the opposite direction that this never happens. Anyone please give their opinion here and correct me if it seems wrong.

I've been on several 1.5 hour drives, and all seems well. No oil consumption, no smoke, just a tiny bit at start up, same power and performance. My oil pressure gauge is pegged at 3 bar during driving, at idle and in neutral (stopped at a red light) it settles down to just below 2 bar. So, I believe I have everything working as intended, if not actually 100% correct..

Thanks to everyone above who gave advice and tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Bath Air Filter Filling with Oil-breather-photo-1.jpg   Oil Bath Air Filter Filling with Oil-breather-photo-2.jpg   Oil Bath Air Filter Filling with Oil-breather-photo-3.jpg   Oil Bath Air Filter Filling with Oil-breather-photo-4.jpg