View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 05:03 PM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
How did the line fail? Blow off or rupture? Or the fan belt got it?

I believe Ken's hoses are made in Germany by the original supplier. Although good quality hose with clamps and safety wires to me are good enough and generally I tend to be a little anal at times.

Without the safety wires I would not feel comforatable at all. As the hose ages the compression force of the clamp can be reduced. Those that are already just running with clamps. Can add another one with a safety wire under it usually. It is cheap to do and eliminates basically any chance of a blowoff. Personally I would close the loop of the safety wire.

Smaller diameter stainless wire should be good enough. A good enough source for the wire in my case is some of my stainless mig wire. Or ask a guy that welds for a piece of his.

There has been resistance to doing this by guys using clamps. My guess is in their life experience they have never had hoses blow off things.I have and in some cases it was unexpected.
The Monark hoses from he who shall not be linked are out of stock. This from looking at his site today. They were out of stock approx Jan. '20 when I was shopping for them. Then I looked again at his vid extolling the virtue of those hoses - it was about 6 years old IIRC. I was disappointed but both hoses were leaking at the hose to steel line joint at the radiator. Not replacing was not a good option. I wish I'd kept better records of the ones I bought, probably have it somewhere. Had to get two different brands, for one, the lower I think, there was only one manufacturer still going on it.

Worst case scenario: what D911 describes might be the only option one day. I wish I'd saved my old lines at this point. The steel parts could be useful.

Last edited by cmac2012; 04-01-2021 at 03:06 AM.