View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 09:02 PM

Yes, they were off on the bench. I had to cut them off with a dremel or disk grinder cutoff wheel...cannot recall. Maybe a hacksaw in my vise and tugging with pliers. Wow, I cannot recall how I took the old crimp ferrules off...but yes I did it on the bench.

Ok, so the little Oeticker band clamp is NOT crunching down on the rubber over the metal barb. It’s just crimped down over the rubber hose. The gold AC crimp ferrule is what is holding down the rubber hose to the pipe barb.

The idea was to put the Oeticker band down to provide an anchor point for a safety wire. I never put the wire on. You can see the strategy in use on my ac hoses in the following images. I was assuming it wouldn’t slip off in a blowout situation but yes, as you observed, it is too far back to be clamping over the metal pipe internally and is kind of dodgy. It was not meant as a double clamp.

The AC crimps look pretty strong. I think they’ll hold. As people have suggested here, the blowoff problem occurs when the hose rots and shrinks with age. The inside of the Galaxy hose has a really tough rigid liner that I suspect will outlast me. I think the key is to watch for weeping at the ferrules and change the hoses immediately if you see signs that the seal has been compromised there.

Edit - oh I see what your asking. I replaced both clamps. The Oeticker is new and the crimp ferrule is new. It’s an AC hose crimp.
85 300D Turbodiesel 170k miles