View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 04:49 PM

The AC crimps are termed "ferrules". My 300D mostly used ones with the ferrule integral with the barbed fitting, which might be Coll-O-Crimp brand (patented?). Those can be harder to cut-off since also welded to the fitting. You can just hacksaw a ring around the OD to leave a disk of metal on the fitting. I don't know what threaded fittings M-B uses on the AC, oil cooler, and trans cooler hoses, perhaps something metric and hard to source in U.S., thus must re-use them. On my 300D, most ferrules are thick steel so harder to cut, but angling a hacksaw or grinder in works, plus prying with screwdrivers and hammers, securing it in a vise. You can get new ferrules in steel or aluminum. The steel is thinner gage than M-B used. Most modern cars have aluminum ferrules, so should work.

Only buy AC hose marked "barrier", which is needed for newer refrigerants like R-134A and R-1234yc. It has a liner which I think is Viton, so should be fine for engine oil. It also works for R-12, which flows with hot mineral oil, so "should work". Viton lasts almost as long as nylon and Teflon. If you want a smaller size hose, look for "reduced barrier". Some of the crimps in the Master-Cool set interchange, like they are marked that the #6 die also works for #8 reduced hose & ferrules (forget). I used the #10 dies for #12 reduced for the suction hose in my M-B cars, though not marked for that. Thought "should work" after checking hose and ferrule sizes in catalogs. You can also buy special "reduced" dies, but pricey.

Looks like ykobayashi has at least 1 more die than me, so a great price if $150. I planned to resell my Crimp Set after use, but like a hammer I keep finding things to use it on. It works best in a vise, but might be used in-car in a few places with a big wrench and 4 hands. When I had to re-do a hose at the AC compressor, I couldn't fit the Crimper in there, so used 2 Oeticker "stepless ear" clamps and oriented the ears 180 deg apart for best seal. The hose wasn't leaking, but I had messed up the factory tube in bending to match a Sanden. You need to research catalog dimensions to see what Oeticker clamps work. PEX ferrules at Home Depot are another possibility but also need checking dimensions.