View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 01:16 PM

Shern,

Different designs have different amounts of flow restriction. I just have a single plate separating the intake and output. Kind of a vane made out of an old credit card and glued to the lid. The N54 bmw one has a little grill inside and it has more restriction. I’ve not blown out my seals though. My engines are leak free.

I made some flow meters for pcv blowby early in my career. They had vane type oil separators. Just fling the vapor against some walls and make it turn a few corners. Collect any condensate dripping down the walls. Once I removed the obvious restrictions (small holes) the pressure drops mostly came from long runs of hose and the right angle turns. The Brillo pad is pretty low restriction. I tested the design by blowing through it.

I’m so proud of my flow meters. Got to show them off here. I made them first thing out of engineering school. OMG they still make it twenty years later. You can check out the oil separators on each end.

http://www.labcell.com/media/20886/blow-bybrochure%20e.pdf

So, what I was saying is long runs of tubing and right angle turns create a significant amount of back pressure once the obvious restrictions are minimized.

I didn’t put the 3d files up on thingiverse. They actually sucked because the conduits didn’t fit well and required a lot of JB weld for sealing. Also 3d printing sucks for holding pressure. There are microscopic pinholes in my solid caused by the process and it slowly develops a film of oil all over it and weeps. Bottom line I wouldn’t recommend printing my design out without major redesign.

Random thoughts on 3d printing. My printer was really cheap. $199 shipped. Easy to set up and use - watched three hours of YouTube vids. Don’t pay for prints just buy a cheap printer from Creality. Then there is always a big library nearby that often lets you bring in things to print for a tiny fee as long as it doesn’t turn into a weapon.

If I had to make this thing again I’d just buy two plastic elbow barbs from home depot and glue them in with bath silicone or JB weld right down to the lid.

The jar was nice because I can see the oil use. It was also free. I consume a lot of salsa. To mount it I got a magnetic coffee cup holder from a junk yard. I just stuck it to the car.

I haven’t run them 3000 mi. I’d say I collected a quarter cup of oil in 1000 miles.

The SD

The blue 1985 300d

85 300D Turbodiesel 170k miles