View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 03:06 PM

Got that 180d engine ready to put in. This requires changing the oil pans, and removing all of the normal 180 mounting stuff. Somehow using a tractor & engine lift. I got it shoe horned in the car.

For future reference the 170 has a single grove crank pulley. The 180d engine has a double groove. There is not enough space for the extra belt groove...... There is also no way I'm going through that again.

So I'll saw off the front spare pulley groove...... Not proud of it, but thats how it goes sometimes...

The stock generator will be put on a shelf, in favor of a alternator I found on Amazon(from some sort of isuzu diesel truck $25.00 ). Its internally regulated, with a combination of washers, and my metal lathe- it'll work fine.

Also the 180d trans does not use the same rear mounts, really no way( short of a custom bracket) to get that mount to work. Also it uses a different clutch rod setup.

The 170 clutch pivots in the bellhousing. The 180s has a fork, and a spot for a hydraulic clutch.

Maybe you could swap bell housings, still would have the rear mount issue.

Instead of the 6.40-15 tires. I'll be running 165/80/15-tubed. At less than 1/3 of the price, I can put the savings fixing something else on it.

Lastly the fuel tank had a factory internal coating. Haven't found anything that will take it out- other than bolts!. Acetone, and MEK doesn't touch it. Getting tempted to fill it with bolts, and soapy water. Then strapping it to the tractor wheel.... Hmm, wonder if whole kernel feed corn would work?

When its all clean, and prepped- RED KOTE will be going it in.

Last edited by 300d 4 ME; 04-29-2021 at 03:19 PM.