View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003, 10:40 PM

Three set of lines :

Engine related (emission, vac to distrib, hose to MAP on the fender)

Climate control -- green plastic lines to interior

Door locks -- yellow plastic line to driver's door.

What I would do is check all the rubber connectors. You can replace the straight ones with plain 1/8 or 3/32" vac line from the autoparts store. T and Y connections are best obtained as MB OEM parts, the aftermarket ones are usually junk. I've done them all, it's a pain, but worth is as most of them, if not replaced by now, are leaking for sure.

You will also need to check the integrity of the plastic hose at the same time. cracks and breaks can be fixed with more vac line, at least temporarily. Be careful, any exposed to heat will be brittle.

Next, I'd get a MitiVac hand pump and check the door lock and climate controls by attaching at the engine compartment end at the check valve and pumping down -- if they hod vac, you are fine, if not, you need to fix the leaks. Temporary fix is to plug the line on the engine side.

If the engine runs fine with the vac leaks fixed, you are fine.

If not, first thing I would check is the points or the rest of the ignition system -- D-jet will run VERY rich if there is a big vac leak, to the point that black smoke will be visible when you floor it. Bad points for hte transistorized ignition or bad cap, rotor, and wires, or plugs will also cause a "rich" condition, too, so check them all out.

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!