View Single Post
Old 04-07-1999, 01:41 AM
Lee Scheeler

When you mention silicone or WD40 I assume it is in reference to the "coat of Vaseline" from Bill Wood's post. From my experience WD40 will act more as a harsh cleaner and a lubricant so it probably isn't a good idea. Personally I have never tried the Vaseline trick so I can't say how it works. I know from experience that petroleum based wheel dressings (okay petroleum distilates) act as a magnet for brake dust. The first time after you wash the wheel/tire that has been dressed with Son-of-a-Gun or something similar the rag turns into a ball of gummy brake dust and road gunk. However I know for a fact that a light coat of Meguiars wax(or any other high quality wax) goes on an 8-hole wheel in seconds and is removed just as easily. Since most wheel cleaners strip the wax it works out fine re-waxing on a regular basis. Some aftermarket wheels are a real pain in the ass to cleanup and wax so I could understand someone wanting to shortcut there, but the stock wheels are so easy why mess with simple success. Just my opinion...Lee