View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 05:55 PM

Question Electric lock actuators or stay with vacuum?

Okay, so disassembly of my interior has begun (to replace the carpet and add noise insulation as mentioned in my Recarpeting a 300TD post, among other things).

It just occurred to me that now would be the time to install electric door lock actuators if I wanted to; I'm rewiring a lot of other stuff and it wouldn't really be much extra work.

Pros that I've though of so far:
* The current vacuum actuators are aging and may fail/need replacement soon anyway
* Instant lock/unlock of all five doors, no more waiting a few seconds for the passenger doors to unlock and five or six seconds for the hatch to unlock.
* No more vacuum leak problems (I do have a leak at the moment, and yes, I have heard they're "easy" to find and fix)

Cons that I've thought of so far:
* I'll have to buy the electric actuators (not too expensive, but still...).
* Potential electrical problems in the future (though no more or less likely than vacuum problems I imagine).
* No power, no power locks
* It will actually become possible for me to lock the keys in the car without doing something purposefully and insanely stupid like locking the car from outside and slipping the keys back into the car through a slightly open window.

What do you think? Should I do it?